One of the seven wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal is located on the banks of River Yamuna in Agra (Uttar Pradesh). It was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as a memorial for his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It also houses the tomb of Shah Jahan himself. Constructed entirely out of white marble in the 17th century, the Taj Mahal is one of the most beautiful monuments in the world. Every year visitors numbering more than the entire population of Agra pass through the magnificent gates to catch a glimpse of this breathtaking monument!
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Taj Mahal stands for the Crown of Palaces in the Persian language. The tomb is laid out in a rectangular shape and can be approached through a massive gateway which has an arch and alcoves on either side of it. There are water channels and fountains at the entrance which makes the monument even more spectacular. The reflection of this majestic spectacle in the Yamuna is almost poetic in its perfection!
Covering an area of approximately 42 Acres, the construction of the Taj Mahal began in 1631 and it took 17 years before it was completed in 1648! It was constructed using white marble obtained from Makrana in Rajasthan.
The Taj Mahal was dispatched by Shah Jahan in 1631, to be inherent the memory of his significant other Mumtaz Mahal, who kicked the bucket on 17 June that year, while bringing forth their fourteenth kid, Gauhara Begum. Construction began in 1632, and the catacomb was finished in 1648, while the encompassing structures and nursery were done five years later. The majestic court archiving Shah Jahan’s distress after the demise of Mumtaz Mahal represents the romantic tale held as the motivation for the Taj Mahal.
The inside office of the Taj Mahal comes to a long ways past conventional enlivening components. The decorate work isn’t pietra dura, however a lapidary of valuable and semiprecious gemstones. The internal chamber is an octagon with the plan taking into account section from each face, albeit just the entryway confronting the nursery toward the south is utilized. The inside dividers are around 25 meters (82 ft) high and are topped by a “bogus” inside vault enriched with a sun theme. Eight pishtaq curves characterize the space at ground level and, likewise with the outside, each lower pishtaq is delegated by a second pishtaq about halfway up the wall. The four focal upper curves structure overhangs or survey territories, and every gallery’s outside window has a complicated screen or jali cut from marble. Notwithstanding the light from the overhang screens, light enters through rooftop openings covered by chattris at the corners. The octagonal marble screen or jali flanking the cenotaphs is produced using eight marble boards cut through with complicated penetrate work. The leftover surfaces are decorated in fragile detail with semi-valuable stones shaping twining plants, foods grown from the ground. Each chamber divider is profoundly finished with dado bas-alleviation, complicated lapidary decorate and refined calligraphy boards which reflect, in little detail, the plan components seen all through the outside of the complex.